Saturday, September 6, 2008

2 days in Brunei - warning there are a few pictures


We arrived tired but happy to be there. Flew Royal Brunei.....I had read some very mixed views on this airline....there was some good and bad ...the seats were a bit small for us slightly larger than the average person :) but the food was nice the staff were lovely and being a alcohol free country....so was their airline...and I have to say it was actually really pleasant not to have loud, raucous drunk people on the plane....everyone was well behaved and mostly slept. Even me and djd got some shut eye on the way over.....unfortunately the same can not be said for the trip back :(


Cindy our tour guide picked us up from the airport and chatted all the way to the hotel...about 15minute ride...pointing out all the European restaurants along the way....thinking thats where we would be interested in eating at....no actually we want local food.....ane we certainly did eat local food while there.


the hotel was spectacular....just sorry I didn't get a picture of the magnificent chandilier that was hanging over the lobby.



After the sleep we were off to the water village and up the river.




I could have spent a day just going up and down that river.....the speed of the trip up the river was thrilling and the animal life at the waters edge was fascinating. I must admit I didn't take piccies of the wildlife on the river....one I had the wrong lens on and even though I could have swapped it over...I was just soaking it all in with my eyes. But djd did and thank goodness he did as the memories come flooding back when I look at them :)


It was growing dark as we ate our dinner at the riverside at the night food stalls. Really interesting food - so glad we ate there. Then back into the car and a drive around to see the lights that were on display in honour of the Sultans birthday - all the month of August was the Sultans birthday....now thats one hell of a party isn't it :)


The night time shots of the mosques and then off to the last market of the night....I was just too tired at this stage though...hot, sweaty and just wanted my bed....djd was happily walking around taking snaps of people and the market life...and I would have as well except he was a foot taller than the people around him and more able to get the shots in...and men seem to be more accepted in Brunei...not that I didnt feel welcome but men definitely hold a higher esteem in their society.


The next day was spent mostly in the city just touring around Museums.....one was ok but after the 3rd....we were getting a bit sick of them :)




we drove back to the Sultans palace to have a look at it in the daylight....I saw this very cute looking light and this very somber man!




Last stop......the mosque from last night so we could climb the tower!!! 300 steps up and surprising enough 300 down :) I got the privilage of walking them on my own :)


Boy was it hot, stuffy and very exhausting....but first there was a quick sneaky look into the mosque itself....there I was cooking in the heat again and I had to put on a black robe to cover my entire body.....phew....still I got to look into the pray room.....what a huge area.....and the carpet was especially made to set out a square area for the kneeling to pray ......and not only that but it was made in New Zealand! we were only allowed to stand inside the doorway though and not step onto the carpet.


From there the trail up the stairs....but can you spot the picture I took of djd outside waiting for me?? :-)



My first rest for breath!



My 2nd rest for breath



The 3rd




the 4th



I made it, I'm level with the domes!!!



And on my way down.....I spy with my little eye



I'm up here...look at me!!!!!



And that was Brunei really....wish we had gone up the river again the second day...as there were other trips that did this but sometimes you just don't know what to expect and do the best you can....next time...definitely up the river and an overnight stay!


Hong Kong here we come.....yippeeeeee

3 comments:

dinzie said...

I can see me down there :O)

D

Kay Cooke said...

I can see you down there too!
What beautiful shots you got from the climb. Love the gold domes and the sky shots. I am glad you went up those steps too!
Interesting place ...

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Way to go Mcdinzie, 300 steps up 300 down, but the view from the top is awesome. I am glad you made it to the top and took those pictures.